Do you feel like you are “working hard” and “doing all the right things,” yet finding yourself struggling to get the career-making project assignments and/or promotions you’re yearning for? You are not alone. While we are taught that we will be rewarded for “working hard,” and “playing by the rules,” there is another (hidden) factor that is crucial to our career success.
The secret sauce to career growth – and personal fulfillment with work – is the presence of your own team of influential, experienced people who can guide you access the hidden pathways to success – and avoid the quicksand pits that can derail your opportunities. In this session, we’ll talk about the four types of people you need on YOUR team in order to access the opportunities that can help make 2020 the year that gets you where you want to go.
As a result of this session, you’ll be able to:
• Define the four different roles you need to fill on your personal career success squad: allies, coaches, mentors and sponsors
• Prioritize requests for your time, so that you are choosing the extra project and committee that will provide you skill growth, visibility, and relationship development YOU need for advancement
• How to effectively say “no” to “opportunities” that don’t fit your personal career plan (but may truly be a great opportunity for someone else)
• Recognize how you can fulfill one or more of the career squad roles for others at work (a great way to expand your personal career network)
• Define at least one person for each of your career squad roles – and how to effectively reach out to begin that relationship
• Plan how to nurture and develop your career squad relationships throughout 2020 (let’s DO this!)